Friday, February 6, 2009

LA Food Picks

This is a short list of some of my favorite places to eat in LA/Pasadena area that I forwarded to the Entreprenurial Spirit class (taught by Errol Gerson) which I TA for. Hope you guys enjoy!

Bua Na Thai - the only thai place I go to in pasadena. I get the crispy chicken with basil leafs. the people there are great and treat you well and the food is authentic

696 E Colorado Blvd
Pasadena CA 91101
United States


Cliftons Cafeteria - great for oldschool cafeteria style eating in a very very odd and unique setting. this isn't a foodie place, but if you grew up kinda poor as a kid (I did) then this'll bring back memories. The corn bread and the honey butter are amazing.

648 S Broadway
Los Angeles CA 90014
United States


Colori Kitchen - decent downtown italian joint. good ambiance, pretty hip crowd, decent risotto and no corkage fee (from what I remember). good but not great but worth the stop if you're in the area and you don't wanna hit little tokyo

429 W 8th St
Los Angeles CA
United States


Fatty's & Co - one of my top 5 in LA. its 100% vegan if I'm not mistaken but you'd never know. a bit on the expensive side for most students but the food is stunning and the presentation is wonderful and the people are kind... the setting is not pretentious or arrogant. One of my absolute favorites

5110 Vincent Ave
Los Angeles CA 90041
United States


Fox's Breakfast - just as the name says. I love going to this spot and getting one of their breakfast combos. a touch on the expensive side, but I always feel energized after I leave.

2352 Lake Ave
Altadena CA
United States


French Market Cafe - nice quaint spot off Abbot Kinney in venice owned and run but actual french people, not people who visited once and wanted to prolong their exposure. Pretty good if you're in the area and want to get away from the Santa Monica and Venice boardwalk madness

2321 Abbot Kinney Blvd
Venice CA
United States


Hakata Ramen Shinsengumi - the only ramen place I like. period.
http://www.shinsengumiusa.com/


Kabuki Sushi Corp. - this isn't the chain of kabuki crap sushi you usually see. this place existed before them and has been serving some of the best sushi I've consistently had. Worth the trip, even non-sushi eaters will convert.

9701 Reseda Boulevard
Northridge Ca 91325
USA


Mamma's Brick Oven - pretty damn good local pizza, better than most, but not the best I've had (I've had better in SF & Chicago)

710 Fair Oaks Ave
South Pasadena CA
United States


Marouch - simply the best arabic I've had in LA. I'm 1/2 egyptian and my mom is the best cook I've experienced for arabic food (in this I'm not biased, tons of people try to pass off crap as good) and this place is the closest I've ever experienced to comparing to her. One of my LA favorites

4905 Santa Monica Blvd
Los Angeles CA 90029
USA


Mike & Anne's - my current favorite in all of Los Angeles. I go here as much as my bank account will allow. They have great food, servers and ambiance. I've been there for every meal time and I have the following suggestions. In the morning have the lemonade, its has a mint or something added to it that is simply amazing. For lunch and dinner, the chicken wrapped in bacon or the four mushroom risotto are my current favorites but I've sampled others and the rest of the food is just as good. For appetizers get the mac&cheese and you'll be amazed and also get the french fries with the garlic aioli dipping sauce. Top 5 no doubt

1040 Mission St
South Pasadena CA
United States


Nicole Gourmet - the best french grocery and breakfast/lunch spot I've found in LA. Unpretentious, delicious and delicious... yes I said that twice. Great little romantic corner spot where you can find everything french. I suggest you stop by. I try and go here once every two weeks without fail. Give the Croque Monsieur a try. I also suggest the Lorina sparkling Pink Lemonade (a personal addiction).

921 Meridian Ave # B
South Pasadena CA
United States


Porta Via - this is the italian equivalent to the above. their outdoor eating/seating area is one of my favorite places in pasadena. Their selection of products is out of this world and their food is even more amazing. If you don't mind the impending heart attack, give their 'Italian BLT' a try. Its grilled pancetta with lettuce & tomato with basil aioli on some sort of delicious bread.... its absolutely nuts and an engrossing sandwich experience. Try it with the sparkling pomegranate juice (using the acidity to cut through the heaviness of the sandwich) and you will have an amazing lunch!

1 W California Blvd
Pasadena CA
United States


Shik Do Rak - simply a great Korean BBQ spot that I love going to. The sauces, the meat the old man who is sometimes there to great you at the door makes this intimate spot a place where I with some reservation admit I've been to three times one week.

2501 W Olympic Blvd
Los Angeles CA 90006
United States


Zona Rosa - a great little coffee spot. I love taking dates here, grabbing a big cup of their mexican hot chocolate and going for a walk around CalTech's campus in the evening/night. Great heat, sweetness balanced with a delicious bitterness that I haven't found anywhere else.

15 S El Molino Ave
Pasadena CA 91101
United States


Thats all for now, hope you guys enjoy!
Sherif

7 comments:

Yasemin Baran said...

Ok, which one are WE going? :D

-yas

Ang said...

hey sherif

lol nice blog. I heard vel and mary talk about it once awhile ago

you have a huge variety of foods that you like!! ive only been to one or two.. haha i gotta try some out! thanks for the info

morishimadesign said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Daniel said...

Okay, why is Akbar not at the top of the list, son? ;P

longdegg said...

Your blog is very interesting!
Tory Burch
Tory Burch Boots
Tory Burch Flats
Tory Burch Sandals
Moncler
Moncler Jackets Men
Moncler Jackets
Moncler kids Jackets
UGG Boots
christian louboutin
christian louboutin pumps
Herve Leger Dress
christian louboutin uk
Longines
Longines Watch
Rolex Watch
Omega Watch
Moncler
Moncler Jackets Men
Moncler Jackets
Moncler kids Jackets
UGG Boots
you like it? Get a girlfriend, she'll love,This is my blog, exchange links with us to make friends
http://www.longinesuk.co.uk

sourabh gupta said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
sourabh gupta said...
This comment has been removed by the author.